Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Information Booth

Information Booth Important information, point of interest, warnings, what to look for, etc about a specific area for potential visitors.

Unread 11-03-2015, 10:53 AM

Question Looking to Rough it - Please Advise

I will continue to troll the forums, but it is hard to tell just by scanning through what is useful and what isn't. So I was hoping that someone would see this post and also have rather extensive, or at least working knowledge of camping in soCal. I just moved here, so I don't know much, and there is so much to choose from!

What I am looking for is a more or less secluded spot in the forest with the most difficult hiking possible, while still being within range of where I live (hopefully 5 hours drive at most, maybe longer if the spot is good enough) and not having to reserve months in advance. I don't need any "camping amenities" like showers and boat rentals. I just want to pitch a tent for a couple days and climb things.

I can't imagine that this is unreasonable request, considering how big Cali is, and all of the options around here, but as I search online, my hopes are waning just a bit. Please let me know if you are willing to have a quick discussion on the subject, I would be very grateful.
Unread 11-09-2015, 11:16 AM

Abo,

It is getting late in the season for forest camping. Because of our latitude and dry western climate, our forests are mostly above 5,000'. In the winter this can be very dangerous, as snow can fall in winter storms as low as 3,000' or even lower. Our mountains are also very steep and escape routes can be dangerous in a storm. That said, there are places to hike and camp in the mountains that are remote. Do remember that we have black bears and in the Sierras, they can be a problem. Camping with a permits is also required in some areas. Contact the local ranger station for rules.

Have you considered desert camping? We have very remote mountain ranges in our deserts that offer camping experiences where you will not encounter others. There are high elevation forests in some of these ranges. Because we sit on the tectonic plate boundary, much of our state has exposed granite. This should offer excellent climbing at many, many locations.

Norm

Tags
advice, camping help, location request, locations, newbie