Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Tips and Tricks

Tips and Tricks Share what you've learned here.

Unread 08-26-2009, 05:36 PM

S***ing in the woods

Bears do it. Campers have to do it too.

I love outhouses. But I don't always use them. I can dig a hole and, more often than not, find that sanitary and private.

Actually there is a trick to it. I use a small trowel and a plastic grocery bag. I dig a narrow deep hole---good enough for the weekend---and place all the dirt in the bag. I then place the bag over the hole after each use. At the end, I poke the bag with my trowel and re-fill the hole. Presto. No fresh dirt laying around and a very small footprint.

Here are a few of my favorite outhouses---Brigg's Camp, Stells's, and Panamint Russ's.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

And that is the nice thing about desert camping---things dry out fast and there is no smell to these places.

NJ
Unread 08-26-2009, 08:06 PM
Survivorman

At Mt Whitney, it's bag in bag out so you have to carry your own waste out. They give you this little bag that has some sort of chemical to kill the bacteria and odor. When I say little, I mean it. You have got to have awesome aiming skills to do it perfectly. It is however good for the environment and animals in the area. The place is very popular with day hikers and backpackers.

I'm not a big fan of outhouses, but when you gotta go you gotta go.
Unread 08-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Survivorman

BTW, if you need to leave your waste there, how deep do you need to dig down?
Unread 08-27-2009, 08:51 AM

Normally you should cover by 6'' minimum. Animals will sometimes dig up the waste if you don't go deep enough. Also a person can put a rock on top at the end to keep animals from digging it up and to mark the spot so you don't accidentally choose the same place next time you come and camp.

Outhouses are C**P and leave--no covering. Some have a bag of lime that you scoop a small amount of and sprinkle on top. But in the desert things dry so quickly that it isn't a problem.
NJ

Last edited by NEJ; 08-27-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Unread 08-27-2009, 01:42 PM

man i hate outhouses.. but I think it beat pooping in a bag and lugging it around.
Unread 01-18-2011, 05:45 PM

I camped in Clark valley this past weekend and crapped in the creosote bushes. There are many things to consider. First off: how far are you from the road where someone will happen along just at the worst possible moment? Some cars are quieter than others and the drivers aren't in a hurry. No dust. Oops.

That issue (pardon the choice of words) aside, what about coyotes digging up your cr*p for their daily meal? They do that stuff. Bury it deep and use a large boulder or two if you can't.

What I find curious is that coyotes do not forage on dog excrement--not that I have seen. This must be a natural response to genetically inherited cues which discourage this behavior even in the face of starvation. Why? Because of the parasites involved. Cannibalism may work fine if coyotes are eating live dog flesh, but may be catastrophically anti-evolutionary for eating the excrement of their own species--- extending even to domestic canines.

Don't be surprised to return to your previous campsite two weeks later and see a bunch of empty holes where you took a cr*p.

Hey, you coyotes---"Bon appetite."

NJ
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:18 AM

This is maybe the best thread on the entire forum.
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddles View Post
This is maybe the best thread on the entire forum.
What!!?!?!? This tread is crap!

Tags
sing, woods