Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 11-13-2011, 05:14 PM

Alder Canyon

Alder Canyon is a side canyon in the upper Coyote Canyon area of Anza Borrego State Park. To access the canyon, one needs a high clearance, moderately narrow and short wheel base, 4wd vehicle. We did it this last weekend in my friend's 2006 Toyota Tundra---a much smaller and more capable truck than the modern Tundra. Start in Anza and follow Kirby Road. The signs will tell you where to go.

We had also visited and camped by Alder Creek in 2007, using the same vehicle. The road conditions change frequently in Coyote Canyon due to the fact that the river bed is the road in many places. There is no cell service in the area and it is fairly remote ---so be forewarned.

I love the place. We parked and hiked up to the mouth of the South Fork of Alder Canyon where the "Owl's Hollow" tree lets you know you are about to have interesting day. Gunner and Ted were out in front, and after a few hundred yards up the road in South Fork, Gunner stepped on a cholla ball and I had to extract the thorns with my tweezers from my Swiss Army knife. Normally, I hike with my hip pack, but this time I left it in the truck. The hip pack has a leatherman which works better than anything for cholla spine extraction.

After Gunner's accident, we returned to Alder Creek and explored. The Great Marsh Evening Primrose was blooming. In the creek we found a "Toe Biter." This fearsome fellow does exactly what it is named for only it doesn't bite your toe it sticks its beak in your toe. Same result---OUCH! We did not wade in the creek and avoided the biter---but I snapped some photo's.

Final stop was Bailey's cabin where you can camp if so inclined. I camp up by the creek when I visit the area, but there are more gnats and bugs by the creek. Here are the photo's.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Last edited by NEJ; 11-13-2011 at 05:17 PM.

Tags
alder, canyon