Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Information Booth

Information Booth Important information, point of interest, warnings, what to look for, etc about a specific area for potential visitors.

Unread 12-09-2013, 07:03 PM

Campground Suggestions

Hello everyone, I needed some help with a trip I'm planning in May with an uncle. It'll be my first backpacking trip and we're having some difficulty finding a suitable camp site. We'll be going Friday morning until Monday. Here's what we're looking for:

-Beginner or Intermediate hike (preferably scenic)
-Easily accessible water source
-Isolation
-Somewhere in California or nearby surrounding states

If you guys can suggest anything that'd be great. We've been stressing over where to go as we aren't too sure where would be good for us. Thanks again everyone!
Unread 12-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Survivorman

San Gorgonio or Big Sur. I've been to both places but have never actually backpacked through. Big Sur is beautiful.
Unread 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM

I would suggest you go to the San Jacinto Mountains and start at the Nature Center off Hwy 243 just North Of Idyllwild. Hike up the Deer Springs Trail to Little Round Valley. There is water at Little Round Valley. Check in with the Ranger in Idyllwild before hiking or get a permit ahead of time.

The hike will take most of the day. From Anaheim it is a 2 hour drive by way of Banning and 243. If you are not set on backpacking, just drive to Idyllwild, rent some rooms, and do a hike up the same trail. Or camp in the San Jacinto State Park or Riverside County Park in Idyllwild and hike.

The advantage of the San Jacinto Mountains is:

1. They are close--2 hours from Anaheim.
2. They are not crowded.
3. There are no bears.
4. The highest peak is 10,800' and there are many pine trees and mountain views. It is the high mountains with all the scenery and wilderness--with no bears.

NJ

Tags
campground, suggestions