Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM

Wind Wolves Preserve

I spent the weekend at the Wind Wolves Preserve helping an archeology field school get ready for 9 students. They are spending 5 weeks doing a dig in a cave back in the San Emigdio Mountains. The lead archeologist and his main assistant took me on an excursion back into the mountains to see the site and other sites with Chumash rock art. What wonderful country it is.

My part of the deal is that I loaned a bunch of camping gear I had left over from my Boy Scout leader days and set up the campsite. What a place! I go back Friday for another round of volunteering to do what I love to do anyway. You get to see a lots of cool stuff when you have the keys to the gates.

There were mule deer in the campground and Tule Elk in the surrounding hills. Every milkweed flower had tarantula hawks on them for the nectar. The Pacific Rattlesnake was on the road out Monday morning. Kingbirds and Ash-throated Flycatchers roosted in the Valley Oaks, bats flew in the morning and evening, coyotes sang, California Quail could be seen almost everywhere. What a place.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Last edited by NEJ; 05-21-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Unread 07-11-2012, 07:52 PM

I'm heading back Friday for another round. Hope it is not too hot.

NJ
Unread 07-16-2012, 10:04 AM

Another excellent weekend camping at Wind Wolves. Here are the photo's. Note the puma track and the tarantula wasps. Not a good year to be a tarantula at the Wind Wolves.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Unread 07-19-2012, 09:57 PM

Tomorrow is Friday, and I head back to Wind Wolves. Three weekends in a row camping---fantastic! The good thing is that I can leave the whole camp set up and just drive back and forth with laundry and a few supplies.

NJ
Unread 07-23-2012, 07:39 PM

I arrived at Wind Wolves only to discover that I hadn't brought my personal duffel with the clean clothes, shaving kit (tooth paste, soap, shampoo, etc.) and all that stuff. I had to make do with two pair of shorts I bought at sears the day before and left in the car and what I was wearing. Plus I dug a toothbrush, dental floss, and a comb out of the glove box and found a small bottle of DR. Bruner's peppermint soap in my shower tent bag.

Great weekend. My brother who is a top anthropologist for southern California coastal Indians and a friend of his who is also a top anthro guy came in Friday night. I spent the rest of the time listening to three great anthropologists talk shop about Chumash Indians. Saturday we drove up San Emigdio Canyon and stopped at 5 rock art sites, saw a golden eagle, a great horned owl, coyotes, elk, deer, and many other animals. What a day. Plus I got to experience all this with my brother.

Next week I have off and then two more weekends of taking stuff back home and storing it away for the next expedition. Camping by myself or with a friend or two is a whole lot different than being in charge of providing all the gear and set up for 15 people.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Unread 07-29-2012, 05:47 PM

The blue man.

Last edited by NEJ; 05-21-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Unread 08-07-2012, 07:55 PM

I got to Wind Wolves later Friday (8-3) because I had to work in the morning, installing a kitchen island that didn't get installed Thursday. The installation involved me on one end of a 250lb, marble counter top. Have had a bad back since.

But the San Emigdio campground was still doing fine. Everyone from the field school had left except four anthropologists and myself. (Rick, Dan, Steve, Michele, and I.) Students to Big Sur, David to visit his mom near Sacramento. Rick gave me a tour of the latest artifacts and then he left for his ranch near the coast.

Friday night it rained. Since I am responsible for camp equipment and structure, I checked everything before hitting the sack. I used the students own tent covers (lying on the ground next to their tents) some of my own flies that weren't being used, and a tarp to cover all the tents. Once the lightning started and the rain came down, I walked around a bit and made sure all was protected and secure.

On Saturday, we went to Taft and visited the used bookstore, the antiques store, and three second hand's. We also stopped and spent time at the Oil Museum. This was a great treat for me because I had been reading and have now finished Black Gold in the Joaquin by Frank Latta.

Next weekend I need to haul everything home. Hopefully my back holds out. Here are the photo's.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Last edited by NEJ; 05-21-2013 at 08:48 AM.
Unread 03-30-2014, 07:04 PM

I was back at Wind Wolves this past weekend. It has been very dry this year and the place looked like mid-summer, not spring. I met up with the director of the archeology field school and we planned what would happen this summer as far as me helping again with the camp setup. Thursday and Friday I went with a group around the reserve to see various sights. Wind Wolves is a beautiful place and has much in the way of wildlife. It rained last night, but I was ready for it. Fortunately things dried out this morning before I had to pack and leave.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Tags
preserve, wind, wolf