Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 05-29-2013, 07:14 PM

Solar Panel for the campsite

I decided that I needed more "stuff' last week, so I added a 2' by 4', 100 watt solar panel to the stack. This will charge my DieHard power pack during the day so I can do more with it at night---power the laptop for movies, recharge the phone, iPad, etc. I can also recharge my portable music system direct from the panel / controller.

The future may be 12 volt DC. Tesla was wrong and Edison was right from the get go. As long as the distances are short--low voltage is a great way to go. LED lights are made for low power usage and 12 v systems. So are a lot of modern personal devices. Hope to deploy the panel, controller this weekend.

NJ
Unread 06-02-2013, 08:46 PM

I didn't camp this past weekend as hoped. I did get a new controller and I will need to add a 1/8 plex cover to my panel. I bought the cheapest set-up possible and now will pay the price in up-grades and adding the stuff that would have made it more useful and protected in the first place.

This new controller (Sunforce) has a switch for lead-acid or gel-cell charging. since I use both when camping this is a good mod for my system. The panel may have survived for a while without adding a protective 1/8th plex cover, but I feel a lot safer with something protecting my investment.

I did use the system last week and it worked fine--charged my Diehard power pack in twenty minutes--not that it was very low, but I was very satisfied with the direction my camping sustainability is moving. Give me a few more years and I will be totally "off the grid" as they say in the world of nutbaggery and the camping "purists."

NJ
Unread 10-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

I took the panel to Opal Mountain last weekend and it worked really great. Here I have it set up charging all my devices. Later, I moved it to the side of my tent and watched a movie on the laptop while the panel ran the laptop, kept the power pack fully charged, and charged all my devices. Awesome. After dark I watched another movie and the laptop was plugged into the power pack. It drained the power pack in two hours.

I am sold on bringing the panel with me camping. Don't leave home without it.

NJ

Last edited by NEJ; 10-28-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Unread 11-03-2013, 03:32 PM

I used the panel again this weekend and had the same results---wonderful. Why leave home without it? Now, I need to switch to all rechargeable batteries. This thing--2' by 4' is totally charging and running everything I throw at it. Nice!

NJ

Tags
campsite, panel, solar