Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Information Booth

Information Booth Important information, point of interest, warnings, what to look for, etc about a specific area for potential visitors.

Unread 10-30-2009, 08:58 AM
Camping Carooner

Top "Must Camp" Places?

In your opinion, what are a few of the "must camp" and "must see" places in SoCal? We're coming a long way and want to make the best of our time here!

Last edited by jjennings; 10-30-2009 at 09:02 AM.
Unread 11-17-2009, 07:44 PM

If you haven't been to So Cal before, or even if you have, our biggest features are our best features. I would recommend Death Valley and Panamint Valley. But the really cool stuff is in northern Death Valley. There is a road out from Ubehebe Crater to Big Pine that has some awfully cool stuff.

But first take the Ubehebe to Racetrack Valley road and look at the sliding rocks in Racetrack Valley. That is yet to be explained by science. And I've read all the geology stuff in the recent studies. Then on the road to Big Pine turn south in Eureka Valley to the Eureka Dunes. These are the highest dunes in North America and the most scenic.

When you arrive at Big Pine you are now at the eastern wall of the Sierra Nevada's. Spectacular. It may be too cold yet to travel up to the Bristlecone pines in the White Mountains, but a trip out of Lone Pine to Whitney Portal is a must. Take a stroll up the trail a ways just for the views of Whitney and a feel of the high country.

From Lone pine you can try a run up to Cerro Gordo in the Inyo Mountains. The road is totally driveable (by almost anything) and the views unparalleled. The ghost town may be closed but the county road goes right through and you are OK to have a look around as long as you don't trespass too terribly or take anything.

Back on 395 head south and then veer south on 14 and stop at Red Rock Canyon State Park for a wonderful experience in the colorful desert. From there go east on Red Rock Randsburg Road to Red Mountain and Randsburg for some modern ghost towns.

There are so many other places to tell, I can't do it all here, but when you get closer and start to figure a route, let us know and we'll give plenty more suggestions.

Every been inside a mine? A limestone cavern? A ghost town, cactus garden??? Check out our camping threads for photo's of some of our trips. Spring in southern California is mostly desert camping, but the coast can be beautiful as well as the lower elevations in the mountains (below 7,000').

NJ
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Survivorman

Also, don't forget Yosemite Valley. However, you need to reserve a couple of months in advance if you want a weekend spot.
Unread 12-18-2009, 08:34 PM

There are so many great places i dont know how you choses those, am sure we could all choose so many more.

Tags
must camp, places, top