Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 10-03-2009, 01:11 PM

Lightbulb Big Bear?

So I've been looking around for my next place to hit up and one of my family members who works up at Big Bear lake told me that there are a few cool places to camp up around there. I live in Tustin CA so it's not terribly far either.

I went online and found this site (http://www.bigbearlake.net/camping) that has info on a couple different remote campsites that are supposed to be pretty undeveloped (just what I'm looking for). Has anyone been around these sites or have any ideas/comments/concerns with one of these spots?
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:39 PM

I've driven past a number of those sites and they are nice places. I don't camp in the San Bernardino Mountains because I don't like bears. I had a bad experience once and don't want to have to repeat it.

The San Jacinto Mountains to the south across the Banning Pass from the San Bernardinos are just as nice and no bears, so I go there. Black Mountain Road off 243 is a great place. Up on top of the ridge are 5 yellow post sites and Boulder Basin campground.

Just be aware, yesterday was the first day of deer season and there are a lot of shooters out there right now.

NJ
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:27 PM

Another thing to consider this time of year is weather. In Idyllwild this past weekend, the temperature was in the fifties during the day and in the low forties and high thirties at night. We had a few drops of rain. If you are camping in any high mountains in So Cal this time of year, be ready for rain or snow, extreme cold, or hot sun.

Normally it doesn't snow until Thanksgiving, but It can snow now or next week or any time in between now and next May. Be prepared and you will have a nice trip.

NJ
Unread 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Survivorman

I've never been to most of those sites, except for Holcomb Valley (by the 38 hwy @ Big Bear Lake). That was many years ago, it's a very popular spot. FYI, I came back down from my cabin at Big Bear and it was 41 degrees in the middle of the afternoon. On top of that, it was VERY windy. So if you're planning to head out there, make sure you have enough clothing and chapsticks.
Unread 10-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Thanks so much for the heads up guys, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for. NJ I'm going to look into The San Jacinto Mountains really soon as that place is sounding pretty awesome.

Tags
bear, big