Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Pictures and Videos

Pictures and Videos Pretty much self-explanatory, camping pictures and videos.

Unread 01-03-2010, 11:30 PM
Survivorman

Christmas and New Year in Big Bear

We took a quick get away at our cabin for Christmas an New Year. On Christmas eve, it was snowing heavily. However on Christmas day, the sky was clear, sunny, but cold. Temperature was around low 30's to high 20's during the day, and in single digit at night. We didn't do anything fancy, but enjoyed a quiet Chirstmas and New Year with a few neighbors.

Temperature, outside and inside. Take a guess which one is which.
Click to enlarge

My little boy playing with his auntie
Click to enlarge

The kids having fun... doesn't look that way in the picture but they were
Click to enlarge

Our little Christmas tree. This was taken just after the decorations were all taken down. I forgot to take a before pic.
Click to enlarge

Too cold to roast marshmallow outside in the snow...
Click to enlarge

My pork creation...
[img]http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z122/Vtec44/Big_Bear_cabin/DSCF4260.jpg[img]

Click to enlarge

The secret incredients..
Click to enlarge

A little overcooked, but tasted great...
Click to enlarge

Nothing but clear sky...
Click to enlarge
Unread 01-04-2010, 05:48 AM

You are a brave man putting a Christmas Tree that close to a wood stove. Have you ever lit one on fire? It is frightening.
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:51 PM

When I was growing up Dad and Mom would take me and my brothers to Erich Walters every year before Xmas. I was named after Erich (my middle name). He was German and he would have a tree which we would sit around and enjoy.

The lights on the tree were from the old country--- candles, small birthday candles in special holders. There were about thirty or so. All the room lights were turned out so we could watch the wonderful shadows cast by the candle light and tree branches on the ceiling and walls.

Each candle burned down and then finally out, flaring at the end before dying. Then the shadows would change because there was one fewer burning light. It was best when the last few burned out leaving an ever darker room.

Of course, one year a candle flared and caught the tree on fire and the curtains behind it. Erich grabbed the tree and ran out the front door with it and Dad pulled down the curtains and followed. They got the hose and doused the flames in the middle of the lawn.

It didn't stop them though. We were there again the next year watching the shadows as the candles burned down and out, one at a time.

NJ
Unread 01-04-2010, 06:55 PM

Is that a propane furnace next to the stove? In Idyllwild we have a Idyllwild Property Owners Association that I join for $15 a year. They negotiate with the propane companies for a discount. It saves me $100 at least a year.

Check out your area for a similar group.

NJ

Tags
bear, big, christmas, year