Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 01-07-2011, 05:06 PM

Mammoth Lake

I was there last weekend on a snow storm. I went there to snowboard (stayed in a cabin), but noticed that there was a camp site near the ski resort. anybody heard of it, or have gone? as usual, I like reviewing my gear. I bought a Zeal goggles for $120. This thing nearly killed me on the slopes. It was great for the first hour and it started fogging up. Visibility down to zero and i was unable to wear it by end of the day. scary thing is that, they ONLY make dual lenses nowadays. It fogs up in between the lenses, so you can't use anti fog spray, or clean in any way. my new purchase, http://goinggear.com/images/products...lflash_car.jpg
was another huge disappointment. the plastic melted and it won't fit back into the cup, and the igniter went out. this was only my 2nd use.
Unread 01-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Mammoth has an interesting and semi-questionable camping history.

When I was in high school---so that is like a million years ago--- there were several people who were camping near the lakes in a hollow, a low spot. They went to sleep and never woke up. It was right after I had been to Mammoth and hiked the trail leading out of the Lake area up over the pass north of the peak and then back around to where we had started. That is why I remember the newspaper story---because at the time, we stayed in the valley by the lakes and it could have been us.

It turns out the east side of the northern Sierra is very volcanically active. If you have ever been over the top from Mammoth to Red's Meadows and the Devil's Postpile, you will have seen the contrast between the west side of the San Joaquin River (The San Joaquin starts in the drainage of the Red's Meadows area) and the east. To the west is all granite. To the east, the Mammoth Mountain peaks, is all volcanic. The river flows where it does because the junction between the two types of rocks is especially susceptible to erosion. If one hikes down to Rainbow Falls from Devil's Postpile, you can see the two rock types on either side of the river the whole way.

So how did those people die in the night? They pitched their tent, went to sleep and never woke up. They died of CO2 poisoning---lack of oxygen. The volcanic upwellings of the Mammoth area are still quite active and occasionally there are releases of CO2 gas from vents in the landscape.

Some ski patrol members died in one of those vents a few years ago when someone else (or them, I'm not sure which now) accidentally skied into a vent hole. More ski patrol members tried to save them and lost their lives as well.

While the people were sleeping in their tent, the CO2 came to the surface and because it was cold, it flowed down hill like a river of death. CO2 is heavier than air and, when conditions are right, will flow like an invisible stream to the lowest spot of the landscape.

So, Wardroid, the moral of this story is, "If you intend to camp near Mammoth Lakes or the surrounding area, pick a high point."

NJ

Last edited by NEJ; 01-11-2011 at 11:49 AM.
Unread 01-10-2011, 06:38 PM

that's a creepy story.. I think i'll camp elsewhere.
Unread 01-12-2011, 04:53 PM
Survivorman

I've heard the similar stories regarding CO2 at Mammoth area. Oh, I'm also a snowboarder but I've never been there. DOH!
Unread 01-27-2011, 09:41 AM

Mammoth is cool. There are alot of good camping spots. There is even a car camping spot in town, but I can't recall the name. I went there with some less adeventurous friends and we went day hiking, and fishing at convict lake during the days.

Tags
lake, mammoth