Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Tips and Tricks

Tips and Tricks Share what you've learned here.

Unread 03-23-2011, 11:08 PM

Tips to Make Winter RV Camping More Enjoyable

I want to give some information all who are looking for Winter camping. Here are some tips below.

RV is a great way to enjoy your vacation. Most of you think about renting an RV in the summer, but RV camping in the winter can be an exciting adventure.

Do your homework if you are planning for winter RV camping

If you want to go for winter RV camping, you need to search for campsites and places that are open for winter RV camping. Most of the camp grounds are taking advantage of the RV camping in the winter and they stay open during the whole year. Donít go to the areas that have no RV camping facilities in winter.

more info at Camping
Unread 03-28-2011, 09:45 AM

thanks for the post. most of the active members here are tent campers I think. I love tent camping in the winter time, but i can see that RV would be far more comfortable
Unread 04-15-2011, 08:50 PM

Winter camping is very interesting but a comfortable RV is very important.
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:22 PM

I tent camp in the winter every other weekend. Here are my tips:

1.) Use weather websites for accurate predictions for where to go and then what the weather will be like there. For tent campers and really all camping trips, wind is the hardest challenge in winter. Rain is a problem when you are arriving and leaving. Cold is the easiest to overcome.

2.) I have a bag stuffed with cold gear---ten pair of fleece gloves, a few head wraps and wool caps, fleece long under wear pants and tops, thick fleece socks, that sort of thing. I also have a Gortex, hooded, fleece-lined, Hollofill, parka type jacket that fits in a small nylon duffel and will keep me warm at almost any temperature. A zero degree sleeping bag is a must, but a bag you can fit in with all your clothes, warm stuff, and jacket on is really the only kind of sleeping bag worth having for winter.

3.) I always change into my warmest socks (doubled up fleece) right before bed. Cold feet make for a cold human.

4.) There is a whole procedure for keeping your dog warm if it is a short-haired dog. My long-haired dog likes it as cold as possible.

5.) Put the stuff you don't want frozen in the cooler at night.

6.) The summer shade tarp becomes the winter rain and snow fly. If you need to pack up and leave in the rain, you will need a rain fly (large tarp) under which you can pack and load the truck. You will also need four or five large plastic trash bags in which to put the stuff that has to be loaded wet (tent, trap) at the very end. The trash bags keeps the wet stuff from making everything else wet.

NJ

Tags
camping, camping tips, tips