Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Weather condition

Weather condition Weather condition of local areas.

Unread 11-17-2010, 04:02 PM

Weekend weather for camping

Since this is a camping weekend for me, I am a little worried about the weather. It looks like the southern desert areas are going to be the best conditions. I still may divert to the cabin and hopefully see this seasons first snow.

For up to date forecasts and an all-around good weather site go here and click on the location you want to know about. If it is not listed, go to a site nearby and scroll the map to the spot you want.

http://www.calclim.dri.edu/rawslist.html

NJ
Unread 11-21-2010, 04:38 PM

The final forecast on Friday morning was for a 30% chance of rain at Fish Creek in Anza-Borrego State Park. It is called Fish Creek not because there is a creek or any fish in it but because there are many fish fossils from ancient times virtually covering the landscape---in some cases capping the landscape with fifteen-foot-thick, red, rock, fossil mantles.

I went to Idyllwild to the cabin. It rained from Friday evening through Sunday morning. Then it started to snow. When I got back here to my computer Sunday afternoon, I checked the Calclimate website to see what happened at Fish Creek. Was I right in not going?

It did not rain at Fish Creek. The temps were 78 on Saturday and 67 Sunday. It blew 18 on Saturday under fairly clear skies. Today (Sunday) it blew 48 mph. Wow!

Hopefully it will be nice on this coming Friday and I will make a second attempt at camping in the Fish Creek Wash.

NJ
Unread 11-22-2010, 02:36 PM

I actually like camping in bad weather.. dunno why.
Unread 11-27-2010, 06:47 PM

Agreed, I love the rain and being outside when it's "miserable" by other peoples standards.
Unread 11-29-2010, 05:27 PM

I have dealt with rain many times camping and it is maybe preferable to wind. That is the great thing about the desert---it never rains long but it may rain hard. The next day you can dry out and hit reset. Wind is a problem. 50 mph can force you to give up and cram all your stuff in the back of the truck and drive home P.O.'d.

The worst wind was at Racetrack Valley in Northern DV National Park where the rocks slide on the lakebed. We hiked out to see the rocks and their trails in the hard mud and then went back to the campground and made camp. That night, the wind came up and blew 60 mph. I had to get out and tie the top of my tent to the truck. It still lay flat many times and I never had more than 5 minutes sleep at a time. In the morning we lit the stove just long enough to make coffee, then drove to Furnace Creek for gas. I had to be very careful removing the bills from my wallet to pass through the slot to the cashier. Otherwise all my money would have been in Baker an hour later.

NJ

Tags
camping, weather, weekend