Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Recipes

Recipes Stay healthy when you're out in nature, tell us your secrets.

Unread 08-13-2009, 08:02 PM

Chicken enchiladas

Camp chicken enchiladas:

This is really good and really easy. I call it camp comfort food. Back in the day, it was "college enchiladas" because I took whatever was in the fridge and rolled it up in a tortilla with cheese, stuffed it in a pan, poured enchilada sauce over the top, heaped on more cheese and baked until bubbling and brown.

Now I kinda do the same thing. I take some canned or boiled chicken (Nature Valley), cooked rice (Uncle Ben's pre-cooked packets-- rice with vegetables), Jack cheese, and parboiled broccoli, and I roll that in a low-carb tortilla and stuff about four of those in a square 8" metal pan. Then I pour green medium heat enchilada sauce over the top until the pan is almost full. Then I lay on the Mexican shredded four-cheese blend. Then I put half a can of black olives on top. Then I bake until bubbling. I rarely get it to brown but that is ok. When the thing is hot and the cheese melts all the way, it is done.

How do I bake it? My cast iron Dutch oven is best. I just set that on a burner with a handful of small rocks (1" dia) in the bottom to hold the baking pan off the heat so it won't burn. Then put on the lid with a small ball of aluminum foil under the edge to allow steam to bleed off. Turn up the flame, but not too high at first or it will burn. Everything is cooked anyway so you don't have to cook the ingredients, just get things hot, melt the cheese and hopefully brown it a bit. I let it go thirty or forty minutes at least. You can try turning it up at the end, but you may burn the bottom if you are not careful.

I have done it with a cast iron skillet and aluminum foil over the top, but the Dutch oven is the best.

Bon campetit.

NJ
Unread 08-16-2009, 03:06 PM

So this weekend I made some chicken enchiladas. Wow! Great! I put some broccoli in a pot and a pouch of Uncle Ben's veggie rice and boiled it for a few minutes. Then I opened a can of Nature Valley dark and white chicken. Plus Jack cheese and rolled those babies up and poured some green medium enchilada sauce on top with olives and baked it for about an hour-and-a-half in the Dutch oven on medium. Perfect! Check it out.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Unread 08-17-2009, 12:22 PM

I ate the last one for dinner at home yesterday evening. Great!

NJ
Unread 08-17-2009, 05:08 PM
Survivorman

For some strange reason, I now feel hungry! Good stuff!

Tags
chicken, enchiladas