Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Recipes

Recipes Stay healthy when you're out in nature, tell us your secrets.

Unread 08-23-2009, 07:23 AM

Thumbs up Groumet food

Food tastes 100x better when camping, for some reason. Therefore, I don't mess around when it comes to grubs. I try to bring best of the best, when car camping. This is a bit technical, but you have to step it up for the ultimate grubs Use wood (especially with meat), whenever possible. It make an enormous difference when done right.

Salmon and shrimp can be prepared with seafood marinating sauce from any store. slap on some but, then some chopped garlic will elimate the fishiness and bring out the flavor. Also a lot of lemon. Don't overcook fish, or they'll harden. There are many ways of cooking veggies. One is using terryaki garlic maranade sauce, butter, a bit of terryaki sweet sauce. top everything off with ground pepper.

Click to enlarge

Skewers:
- shrimp - filet mignon, mushrooms, zucchini
- take note: BBQ apple and tomatoes taste awesome!!!
- butter it up
- BBQ (don't skimp out on this. I've tried the cheap stuff and they're terrible). I use 'stubb' brand
- lace the meat with sesame oil

*cutting up the filet mignon makes it super soft for some reason and it takes awhile to cook

Click to enlarge
Unread 08-23-2009, 03:50 PM

Wow, I am coming for dinner! All good advice. My wife tells me the same stuff when she does the barbeque. I am only allowed to cook when I camp, and she doesn't go. But she is a gourmet cook and makes stuff for me to bring on trips, so I do not interfere in her methods.

A great thing about sesame oil is that it will not go bad. I keep some with me on every trip. For veggies, steam or boil asparagus (aka asper grass) or green beans, or broccoli, and then make a sauce of several tablespoons mayonnaise, a dollop of sesame oil (it takes very little when not cooking) and a dollop of soy sauce. Mix this up and serve it cold over the top of the veggie.

NJ
Unread 08-23-2009, 09:34 PM

hah, right on. sesame oil is excellent with red meat, but I haven't tried with veggies.. sounds good, tho. I sometimes use tarter sauce instead of mayo (more flavor).
Unread 08-24-2009, 05:27 PM

I like taking swordfish steaks and slathering them with tarter sauce and then grilling them. It sounds a little weird but it is the best. Then what even bumps it up more is to take some garlic bread and cold slaw and make a sandwich. Wow! I shouldn't even start this stuff before dinner.

NJ
Unread 08-25-2009, 12:30 AM

yes!! swordfish is one of my favs. I usually cook mine with butter, tint of sesame oil and soy sauce.
Unread 08-25-2009, 06:57 PM

A great chicken recipe uses Cornish game hens.

I buy frozen hens and make them Saturday, so they have a chance to thaw and keep my beer cold for a day. I stuff them with a quarter of a lemon, peel and all, a quarter of a onion (no skin), a branch of rosemary, and some salt. None of this will be eaten later.

Next I put 3 or 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a cast iron pan and slow cook 4 or 5 cloves of garlic with the pan tilted up so the oil and the garlic are in a pool in one corner over the flame. Do not brown or scorch the garlic---it will be bitter then.

The trick to garlic is to lay the flat of the knife on the clove and smack it with your hand or fist lightly to smash it a bit. This frees the skin for easy removal and allows the juices to escape as you cook.

When the garlic has infused the oil and cooked a little, remove it from the pan and now brown the hens on a few sides at a fairly low heat, careful so as not to let the stuffing fall out. Finally cover with foil and cook slow for a half hour at least on a side. Check for done-ness and serve. Throw out the stuffing---that was just for flavor.

The stove I am using below is my Camp Chef and the pan is my cast iron "Big Pan," a 16" Wagner skillet.

NJ

Click to enlarge
Unread 08-25-2009, 07:50 PM
Survivorman

Wow, I can't even cook stuff like this at home.

Tags
food, groumet