Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Survivorman

BLM camping?

What's your favorite spot? I typically dont camp on public land due to the fact that I have to take my kids. They need to be washed on a regular basis. However, I've seen beautiful pictures from a couple of spots near or a long the way to Mammoth. The closest to primitive camping I've done with my kids was hiking up Lone Pine Lake by Mt Whitney. We didn't stay long because it was really cold, but the kids love that place.
Unread 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM

There is a great BLM campground in Southern California. It is Owl Canyon, one canyon east of the Rainbow Basin National Natural Landmark which is about ten miles north of Barstow off Irwin Road.

The campground has children's play equipment, pit toilets, and sometimes it has water. It is in a spectacular place with great hiking up the canyon and in nearby Rainbow Basin. It is also only an hour-and-a-half to two hour drive from my house to the campsite.

If you want to do a little exploring and have a moderate clearance vehicle, there is Inscription Canyon and Opal Mountain nearby. Plus the Calico Ghost Town (tourist attraction) if you are so inclined.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Unread 09-10-2009, 12:56 PM

Were you looking for primitive camping to get away from everybody? Because there are plenty of those places but they are a bit tricky. There are thousands of motorcycle and off-road riders out in the desert every weekend, so avoiding them requires a little extra knowledge.

But I can tell you places to go. Just give me a little more information on what you want to see?

NJ
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:02 PM
Survivorman

Lots of tree, grass, and maybe a lake nearby. I've actually been by Fort Irwin Road but it was for target shooting. It's a nice quiet place, but probably not a good idea for Summer months. I've heard about places along side the 395 toward Ridgecrest but I don't know exactly where they are.
Unread 09-10-2009, 05:31 PM

I can tell you every inch of 395 between 15 and Ridgecrest. There are some spots. But none with trees and grass and a lake.

Actually, my favorite spot on 395 is just before you get to Twenty Mule Team Parkway. This would be after you climb the grade from Kramer junction (58 and 395) and get halfway across the valley toward Red Mountain. On your right is Fremont Peak, sitting out there about five miles due east. I have camped up at the foot of the mountain, right where the hogback starts to veer up to the south. People go out there shooting all the time. But there are some great mines---the Rand Monarch. One hole has a car stuck halfway down.

I like to climb the peak. There is no trail, you just head up to the south where the notch is and then follow the ridge back north to the top. I took a Boy Scout troop up there one time on a night when there was a full moon. No flashlights. Blew their minds. On the way up they were all saying, "Well, great hike, but shouldn't we turn back now?" Every time they said it, I said, "We'll just go up to that next outcrop." Then we'd go to the next after that and the next and past the cliffs and drop offs and we were there. On the way back the dads and the kids were pretty proud of themselves. They had survived a hike with NJ. Bonding moment and all that.

NJ

Last edited by NEJ; 09-10-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Unread 09-11-2009, 12:26 AM

Cachuma Lake. Not sure what BLM is.. some sort of a land mark? anyways, it's around 3 hours north, but worth the mention.
Unread 09-13-2009, 07:34 PM

The Bureau of Land Management is the government agency in charge of vast stretches of California land--much of it in the desert. They have rangers--few and far between---that patrol the area they control. Almost all of their territory allows for primitive camping with certain restrictions, usually much less restrictive than National Forest, State Park, County park, National Monument, City park etc.

One does need to know the rules and abide by them. Do not make fire rings where none existed before, Do not leave the roadway with your vehicle. Do not disturb historical sites. Pick up your shell casings. Basically follow all the rules you would in any park and you will be okay. It is all common sense, isn't it? Take out what you bring and leave only footprints.

NJ
Unread 09-15-2009, 04:37 PM

cool. that's good to know. thanks.
Unread 10-22-2009, 04:02 AM

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is responsible for land, mineral, and wildlife management on millions of acres of UK land.

Tags
blm, camping