Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Introduction

Introduction Please drop in and introduce yourself!

Unread 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Question Newbie Camping Family - Looking for Seclusion

We've completed what my mom calls "camping 101 and 102" now with two trips to Palomar Observatory campground. It's a nice campground and the area is perfect but wow - I had no idea camping was such a noisy experience. I am pretty sensitive to noise so the "loud talkers", rowdy parties, crying kids, barking dogs - my tightly packed suburban neighborhood is much more quiet.

With all that said, we are looking for a place where we can enjoy the forest sounds, not human sounds. My husband and I are mid-40's and in OK shape but not for miles of packing in our gear. Our two teenage girls are only willing to carry so much :-) We have a mini-van so I'm not sure how far we can get off-road but I'm looking at yellow post sites around Thomas Mountain. Might be able to borrow a jeep from work if we need 4x4.

Any suggestions, tips, advice?

Thanks!!
Unread 08-19-2013, 08:03 PM

Several weeks ago (before the fires, but it has re-opened), I drove up Black Mountain Road to the Fuller Ridge Trail Head. I used my Prius. There are five Yellow Post sites above 7,000' feet in a very picturesque mountain setting along this route. There were no campers at any of the sites which I found very unusual. Also up on the ridge is Boulder Basin a NFS campground which normally does not have a rowdy bunch staying there.

From Temecula, I would Google the best route as there are many and one will probably be a lot faster than others. My guess is 215 to Alexandro Rd. north to Perris Blvd. to 60 east to 10 east to 243 in Banning to Black Mountain Rd. The problem with that route is it will take you through some badly burned country once you leave Banning. Maybe 79 to Hemet to 74 to Mountain Center and 243 is the better route.

Thomas Mountain is pretty nice. My favorite spot is on a side road to yellow post #10 but it has clearance issues for some vehicles. This time of year, Thomas mountain is too hot for me and I head for higher elevation on Fuller Ridge / Black Mountain.

The great thing about the NF areas south of the the San Bernardino Mountains is the absence of bears.

NJ

Tags
camping, family, newbie, seclusion