Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 11-13-2011, 03:45 PM

iPad camping

I got a new iPad a few weeks ago and now have it ready for camping. I have the following apps and want to know what others have that works for camping.

I have the Gaia GPS topo map app that is pretty nice. I can download maps and store them as well as use online maps where I have wireless or phone.

I have the iHandy level for leveling my stove and table.

I have the Audubon Bird app for identifying birds and then using the song feature to call to the birds. This really works and birds come to the sound of the call.

I have the pUniverse app for stars and planets which you can hold up to the sky and it will show on the screen the section of sky behind it and tell you what you are seeing.

I have Pages which is a word processor for when I want to write at the campsite.

I have all the basic apps like a street map program, music, camera, etc.

Plus, I have some games for entertainment at the campsite.

Pretty cool.

Anybody know any other good camping apps?

NJ
Unread 11-20-2011, 06:43 PM

pretty good apps for camping.. the bird one is interesting. I personally dunno any apps.
Unread 07-02-2012, 05:35 PM

I have since added another app--Calculator Pro. I use it to figure specific gravity of rocks and minerals. Specific gravity can be determined by dividing the weight of a sample in air by the difference between the weight in air and the weight in water.

I have a small hanging scale for larger samples, but must bring a triple beam balance for smaller samples to get an accurate calculation. I use my cooking pot full of water and a plastic bag hanging from a piece of dental floss with holes poked in it to allow air to escape.

I haven't found any valuable ore yet, but I do have a lot of fun determining what rocks and minerals are around the campsite. This is especially useful in the desert.

NJ

Tags
camping, ipad