Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 12-05-2009, 05:31 AM
Wise and Respected Member

Camping with the wife

I see you guys sometimes have problems with the wives coming along so I feel blessed that my wife puts up with our rig and our outings.

We even had a discussion about you guys and I asked, "If these guys wanted to do a "guys weekend" would you mind if I went?" She said, "No problem". Yea!

Also, we were discussing our spring trip. This year, we are talking about spending a week up in Gold Country (Above Yosemite). Lots to do and see up there. So as we are talking dates, I asked her when the Wine Festival is. The Wine Festival is up in Paso Robles and we just LOVE that area and have been to the festival before but not for a few years. Well it seems that the festival is the weekend after we come back from our Gold Country trip.

So she says, "let's go!" Wait...you want to go on a vacation for a week, then sleep in your own bed for 4 nights and then go again?!?!? That's crazy...I LOVE it!!

2004 Cabin A #3 by Aliner (The Tardis)
Toyota Tacoma (6cyl)
Southern California
Unread 12-08-2009, 04:18 PM

You lucky dog. Gold country is pretty nice. I just finished reading Up and Down California by William H. Brewer. His is a first-hand account of supervising the Josiah Whitney survey party that traveled the state in 1860-64. He has a section on the Gold Country and I'd love to get up there. It's just so far to go for a three or four day weekend.

NJ
Unread 12-09-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEJ View Post
You lucky dog. Gold country is pretty nice. I just finished reading Up and Down California by William H. Brewer. His is a first-hand account of supervising the Josiah Whitney survey party that traveled the state in 1860-64. He has a section on the Gold Country and I'd love to get up there. It's just so far to go for a three or four day weekend.

NJ
Yea, that would be not a great trip over a short time like a weekend. We are going to be there a week. As long as I have either wi-fi or my air card working, then it is no problem for me.
Toyota Tacoma (6cyl)
Southern California
Unread 12-11-2009, 05:23 PM

i am one of the lucky ones i suppose.. my gf is always up for a camping trip. as along as she can clean herself she is happy. i have only been on 2 trips with her but im putting together a trip mid January.. it will be cold and maybe wet.. hope i can "test" her a little,.

golld country is nice, lived in Folsom for awhile and did a little exploring around that area.. checked out Sutter's Mill. Pretty neat.
Unread 12-12-2009, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h2o View Post
i am one of the lucky ones i suppose.. my gf is always up for a camping trip. as along as she can clean herself she is happy. i have only been on 2 trips with her but im putting together a trip mid January.. it will be cold and maybe wet.. hope i can "test" her a little,.
Do you backpack it or campground it? I also see by your handle that are you into water...been to Big Caliente Springs above Santa Barbara? Hot springs! Very odd place, but some great camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2h2o View Post
golld country is nice, lived in Folsom for awhile and did a little exploring around that area.. checked out Sutter's Mill. Pretty neat.
Yea, great part of the world that for the most part, the tourists have not found yet. (They tend to stop at Yosemite.)

BTW, did you know that the FIRST discovery of gold in California was NOT at Sutter's Mill, but was a LOT closer to us here in So Cal?
Toyota Tacoma (6cyl)
Southern California
Unread 12-12-2009, 08:34 AM

we just truck camped. in bishop last year mid june. it was cool and we slept in our tent. the second time we had just gotten our packs so we packed them up with our stuff as if we were going backpacking and camped out of them. slept in the back of the truck.. it was a learning experience...
the mid jan trip will be a backpacking trip. she loves the hikes so thats not the part i have to worry about...

i had heard that gold was found here locally, but dont know much about it. where was it?

i know there are a lot of mines in the desert around here,, Mojave especially.
Unread 12-13-2009, 11:45 AM

In So Cal, gold was found at East Fork of the San Gabriel River and there are still people who go up and pan or sluice the river bed in the spring after winter rains have washed down new nuggets and flakes.

Gold was also found in the San Bernardino Mountains north of Big Bear in the Holcomb Valley area and at Gold Mountain.

In the Mojave, lots of mines were located in almost every area. The Panamint Mountains have a number of gold mines. With the price of gold being at $1,200 an ounce, there are mines opening right now in the Panamints. Randsburg is a gold mining area (Yellow Aster) as is Rosamond.

I used to go into mines. I have been in many, many mines of all types. But I'm over it now and rarely go into them these days. See my post from two weeks ago in the Garner Valley.

NJ
Unread 12-13-2009, 02:23 PM

Placerita Canyon at the Oak of the Golden Dream.

from http://www.scvhistory.com/scvhistory...oinage1005.htm

The year was 1842. Both Californias — Alta and Baja — were part of Mexico, and Francisco Lopez was herding cattle on his niece's ranch in Placerita Canyon, 35 miles north of the Pueblo de Los Angeles.
Click to enlarge
Oak of the Golden Dream in Placerita Canyon, where legend says Lopez napped and dreamed of riches. (Photo:Leon Worden)

It was around noon on his 40th birthday, March 9. Lopez paused to rest with his two companions, Manuél Cota and Domingo Bermudez. As the story goes, Lopez fell asleep in the shade of an oak tree and dreamed he was floating on a pool of gold. He awoke, crossed the little creek to a grove of sycamore trees, stuck his knife into the ground, unearthed some wild onions — and there, clinging to the roots, were chunks of gold.
"I with my sheath knife," Lopez later recalled, "dug up some wild onions, and in the earth discovered a piece of gold, and, searching further, found some more."
Toyota Tacoma (6cyl)
Southern California
Unread 12-13-2009, 04:41 PM

The oak in the photo is a Coast Live Oak, Quercus agrifolia. This is an amazing oak species which can withstand wildfires of intense heat. The tree has very hard, iron-like bark which will not be burned by fire. The leaves sprout back the following spring. It lives in So Cal up to about 3,500' elevation, even in the interior at isolated locations. The interior variety is a subspecies known as Quercus agrifolia oxyadenia and it has dense hairs on the underside of the leaf. The coastal variety, Quercus agrifolia agrifolia, has no hairs on the underside of the leaf.

Coast live oaks are easy to identify because the leave is cup-shaped with short sharp spines on the borders. The tree grows with an irregular shape to its crown and the leaves are very dark green. The trunk has bark that is broken up into many small squares and is quite thick. Commonly, these oaks are used as landscape trees in people's yards and drought-friendly plantings in developments and along roadsides.

NJ
Unread 12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
Survivorman

My wife and I used to camp a lot when we were dating. However, we haven't done the tent camping for a long time. Her preference is that the site must have at least flush toilet, which kind of limit on where we typically go.

Tags
camping, wife