Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM

Camping near or around Burbank

Hey Everyone!
I'm really looking for an area to camp in that's off the beaten path and within an hour from Burbank. I'm hoping you ladies and gentleman can suggest some areas that I can "dispersed or primitive" camp in that will allow you to build a fire. I've been dispersed camping my entire life living up north and i'd like to continue in the SOCAL area. Not a huge campground fan since the reason I camp is for the solitude. Any suggestions of where I can park, walk or hike too, and build camp would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Unread 03-14-2013, 07:48 AM

If you are looking for solitude---something I always want camping---you are living in the wrong place. The L A area is fairly congested. For solitude you will need to drive more than an hour. The mountains near you, both north and east, are great in summer, but that is several months away. Campfires can be a real problem in So Cal because of extreme fire danger.

I would suggest you go to the desert. There is much solitude, great beauty, and less danger from fire. The 14 fwy goes out to Red Rock Canyon State Park. Great place. South on 58 you can go to Fremont Peak, Opal Mountain, Grass Valley Wilderness, and even further south, Pisgah Crater, Rodman Mountains, etc.

If you have any questions about specific areas or places, let me know.

NJ

Click to enlarge
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:07 AM

Wow! Thanks NJ that really helps a lot. I was hoping to hit the pines but you're right the season still isn't right for that. Does Red rock allow campfires?

Thanks!,
Matt
Unread 03-14-2013, 11:19 AM

Red Rock has fire rings in the campground sites. If you drive a high clearance or 4wd vehicle, there are quite a range of dispersed camping areas near Red Rock. The best hikes and scenery are in the State Park.

NJ
Unread 03-19-2013, 12:43 AM

So for march weather right now big bear yellow spot camping is probably not the best idea? to cold ? red rock maybe more tolerating?
Unread 03-19-2013, 08:04 AM

Yeah, the mountains may work for certain days but in general probably too soon. The desert will start to warm up now, but Red Rock is north and high. This is the best time of year for the desert through April. There are flowers and spring is here. Watch for snakes!

The mountains won't start leafing out until the end of April. There may be warm days in the lower elevations and the flowers are starting below 3,000.' But in general, I don't hit the higher mountains until May.

If you want a great place for spring camping and to see a lot of wildlife--see my post on Wind Wolves in the southern San Joaquin Valley. It is close to you and pretty exceptional.

NJ
Unread 03-19-2013, 10:24 AM

camping

ok... I will check that out... trying to get away this weekend for a couple days... thank you very much
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:38 AM

You may try calling them first at Wind Wolves.

http://www.wildlandsconservancy.org/...indwolves.html

NJ
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:42 AM

ok... I will give them a try... if I have any further questions I'll let you know. thank you again.
Unread 03-19-2013, 11:52 AM

So I called and checked them out... could make a reservation but unfortunately they do not allow charcoal grills, or fire rings at each camp site... only 1 community fire... another other suggestions...?

Tags
burbank, campfire, dispersed, primitive