Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Tips and Tricks

Tips and Tricks Share what you've learned here.

Unread 01-02-2011, 12:36 PM

Camping in Rain

Tip: avoid camping in the rain. But sometimes it can't be avoided and now that winter is here and it is raining a lot for Southern California, the following tricks will help.

1.) Bring some large trash bags--4 or 5. These are great for stuffing your soaking wet gear into when you pack to head home.
2.) I put up a 12' by 19' tarp as a rain fly to keep my cooking area and living area dry. I can back the Willys partially under one side to where I can load and unload with out everything getting wet.
3.) When folding tents in the rain, I pull out the poles and then drop the tent with the fly in place. I next remove the stakes and fold the whole mess with the ground tarp to the middle so that any wet mud is always on the outside and muddy surfaces are folded against muddy surfaces. Then stick the thing in a large trash bag for drying out at home.
4.) The warmest, driest place in your campsite is inside your tent at the highest point. I have a small rope strung around the inside top of my tent from which I can hang socks, towels, and jackets.
5.) Don't set up your campsite in a wash, low spot, or drainage channel. The desert usually has well drained soil but there are times it can flood. Look around you to see what the evidence is for past run-off problems.
6.) Before you go to bed or leave camp for an extended period consider that weather can change---wind can come up very quickly and without warning, and rain can roll in from almost anywhere--not just the west. Be prepared. Keep your car windows closed, use your rain fly on your tent, erect a tarp over your cooking area, stow extra gear in the car or truck.
7.) The worst time for rain is when you are packing to leave. All other times, you should be able to wait it out in your tent or under your tarp. I have a great screen room that is weather proof and have spent some wonderful rainy afternoons enjoying the weather in complete comfort.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge
Unread 01-02-2011, 08:44 PM

I actually love me some camping in the rain. Probably just as much as I love hiking and generally being outdoors while it's raining. I only wish we got more of it with colder weather down here at lower elevations.
Unread 01-04-2011, 01:46 PM

I don't mind camping in the rain, but the worst part is cleaning your gears. everything got muddy and cleaning everything took me 3 days. huge trash bags are good idea, for the tents and stuff
Unread 12-24-2012, 05:02 PM

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Click to enlarge

Tags
camping, rain