Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > General

General General dicussions, may or may not related to outdoor activities.

Unread 03-18-2010, 06:19 PM

Who's camping this weekend?

The desert is spectacular right now. Everyone needs to get out there. The southern and low deserts are mid-season, high and northern deserts are still a week or two from peak.

I'm headed to the eastern side of the Rodman Mountains this weekend. That would be south of Newberry Springs west of the 40 before you get to Pisgah Crater and the lava tubes. For you explorer types, the lava tubes are pretty cool. In fact more than cool, they are "must see." There are about twenty or more and some are as long as a couple hundred feet. They are fairly easy to find. Just shoot me an email and I'll tell you how. Plus there are good campsites at the crater.

But I'm looking for "spiders." Actually, they aren't spiders at all, but another order of Arachnid called Opiliones or the "harvestmen." I hope to find another new species this weekend. These guys look like spiders but have no fangs or venom, two eyes not eight, no web-making spinnerettes, and they eat solid food. The biggest difference is they have a one-piece body. In other words, they lack a narrow "waist."

I'm taking Gunner and Ted, so I'll have company. Now I just need to keep the dogs from finding a rattlesnake. It is spring and the snakes are out along with every other critter in the desert.

Below is a photo of last weeks new species of harvestman from Anza Borrego. By new species, I mean no one has named it or known that it was something undiscovered. However, probably many people have seen the things before without realizing how unique they were.

NJ

Click to enlarge
Unread 03-18-2010, 09:03 PM

Work has been busy for me lately but I'm itching to get outdoors really bad. Hopefully in the next few weeks I can plan a little weekend trip out somewhere. Until then I'm stuck with little more than the sunrise coming over Santiago Peak outside my office window every morning.
Unread 03-28-2010, 06:21 PM

Campers! Spring sprang. Get out there and camp! I did not camp this past weekend, but did ride the mountain bike trails in Idyllwild---Drifter's Gulch, Rattlesnake, The Connector Trail, etc. The bike has worked well for me ever since Bud re-did the rear cluster and chain. It was expensive, but being able to shift gears smoothly is HUGE.

Looks like camping this coming weekend. Might be three us us headed east to somewhere off the 40. Another possibility is Opal Mountain---you can't go wrong there. Then the next weekend is Panamint Valley. I can't wait.

NJ

Tags
camping, weekend