Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > General > Recipes

Recipes Stay healthy when you're out in nature, tell us your secrets.

Unread 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM

Eggs, lox, and onions

My new favorite breakfast is eggs, lox and onions. This is really good, but is more of a New York kind of thing. I first but my bagel on to toast and then place my cast iron pan on the other burner on low with a nice pad of butter in the bottom. Next I chop up a little less than a quarter cup of Maui onion and add it to the butter. Cook these very slowly so as not to brown them or scorch the butter. You really just want them a little soft. The onions take about five minutes. While they are cooking, cut up the lox. I like the light colored lox that comes in a small package at the super market. I get one sandwich and one breakfast out of a package. The lox and onions are cut into half-inch sized pieces, not too small.

When the onions are ready (I tend to keep them all together in the center of the pan. This helps them cook and not burn), I break three eggs into the pan on top of the onions. If you want, you can break the eggs into a bowl ahead of time and stir them up, but I just do it in the pan. After the eggs are stirred with the onions and they are starting to cook, add the lox. You never want to actually cook the lox, just heat it up, but by the time you add it the eggs are already about done.

Salt and eat. Put some cream cheese on the bagel, pour a glass of OJ, and you have my favorite breakfast.

NJ

Click to enlarge

Last edited by NEJ; 01-11-2010 at 08:55 AM.
Unread 10-12-2009, 11:56 PM

I'm the egg master! there are so many things you can do with eggs. you can add green onions as well. here are some of my billion ways of preparing breakfast eggs.

- green onions, butter, onions and hot sauce
- cooked rice, soy sauce, ketchup and hot sauce
- potatos, sausage, ground pepper, bell pepper
Unread 01-11-2010, 08:56 AM

I had to update with a photo after this weekend. Man, I love that stuff.

NJ

Tags
eggs, lox, onions