Southern California Camping Forum  

Go Back   Southern California Camping Forum > Main > Help desk

Help desk Need help with how to use the forum? Post your questions here!

Unread 01-06-2012, 04:13 PM

Question Where are all the nice non-member campgrounds?

We started camping on a budget by buying an older RV. We usually take my granddaughter (age 10) with us for a weekend trip, but after 3 yrs., we still have not found a really nice kid friendly campground within a 2 hr. drive of north orange county. Most look nice on line and then turn out to be dumps. We can't afford membership campgrounds. Any ideas?
Unread 01-08-2012, 02:46 PM

Now that it is winter, a great resource for SoCal camping is the Mojave Desert. I would try Owl Canyon north of Barstow in Rainbow Basin National Natural Landmark. I have camped there many times and posted the pictures on this forum and I have seen many RV's use the campground. There are no hook-ups. Another place you may want to try is at the Calico Ghost Town, again north of Barstow. I believe they may have hook-ups there, but I have not been to the place. Both of these are about 2 hrs. from Costa Mesa.

In summer, you may want to try Lake Hemet for a place with hook-ups, and across the highway at Herkey creek for a place with no hook-ups. Lake Hemet has excellent fishing.

NJ
Unread 01-08-2012, 08:39 PM

Thanks, NEJ, I forgot to say we need a place with hook ups and things to do for kids. We are not fishers or hunters, just city folks looking for weekend escapes. Since we are not seasoned campers, we like to stay at designated campgrounds. The closest thing we found so far that we liked was Vail Lake, but the prices were too high and some of the staff were very rude. Other than that, we liked the many trees, and plenty to do. We also go to Canyon RV park because of the trees and being close to home, but hate the fwy noise and the train so close that it rattles the windows when it passes, also, no clubhouse activities and not much of a playground.
Unread 01-09-2012, 09:05 AM

http://www.hikercentral.com/campdeta...alifornia.html

The cool thing about the Calico Ghost Town is that kids love it.

NJ

Tags
campgrounds, nice, nonmember